Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Reagan Library

Yesterday we headed south to the Reagan Library. I was a little concerned that the kids would not be too interested in the educational experience, but I was wrong. I was also wrong in thinking that we could check out books and would have to sign up for a library card. There were so many cool things to look at and do.

Below are pictures from out visit there, what I can't show you are pictures of the Magna Carta exhibit...something about flash photography and the original document written in 1215...

Here we are in front of the President's limo, amazingly the Secret Service let us get so close. It was part of a display of the entire motorcade, very cool. Grace is going through this stage where she doesn't want to get her picture taken so you will just have to enjoy looking at the back of her head.
They also had the Air Force One which Reagan flew in as President. This is not a model, but the actual plane. They have displayed it in this huge beautiful building and even let you walk through it which was really interesting. The inside is how it looked when he was flying to Berlin to "...tear down this wall!" The one that Will has is his souvenir which is a toy Air Force One. It, unlike the real thing, can hover, land upside down, and dodge bullets...don't we all wish our 5 year-olds could pilot airliners...
This is the replica of the Oval Office, which we learned is primarily ceremonial because the president has another "actual" office. William says, if anyone is wondering, this is what his office is going to look like in Greenland...if anything perhaps it will be a touch smaller and bit more square but we'll wait and see.
This is an actual piece of the Berlin Wall. The grounds that the library is on are beautiful. I can see why this is where he would want to put his library.

Right before we left we stopped by Reagan's grave. It was really beautiful! If you can't read the words on the wall it says "I know in my heart that man is good that what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life." I take solace in these words as we know that through Christ, what is right through Him will always triumph. Equally evident is the reminder that God finds purpose and worth in each and every life he has created, including those that have yet to see the light of this world.
It was really a great day and we all had a good time. If anyone is ever in the LA area I recommend you making a stop at the Reagan Library.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so cool! Don't you wish history was that fun when we were younger and were supposed to learn about it!! I will ask Justin what kind of alumni stuff he wants :) Ha!

    ReplyDelete