The official start of summer! I'm so excited, it means temperatures constantly in the 30s and 40s and never ending daylight. No cookout today, although we did have hamburger and hot dogs in the dining facility. I spent the day on a hike of Mt. Dundas with the Community Center. The mountain itself is in the bay close to where I live and is where you will find old Dundas Village, the people have long ago left, only a few structures and the mountain remain. I realize now as I make this post that I do not have a picture of Mt Dundas from the distance, so I've linked one
here. The mountain itself is about 750 feet tall and takes about 20 minutes to scramble up. The weather was great and the view from the top just as rewarding.

The above picture is at the start of the hike, our guide from the Community Center is in front, if you look closely you can see the trail going straight up the mountain...why they don't believe in switchbacks here is beyond me...especially for the decent.

The last 75 - 80 feet of the climb require the use of this rope, although I thought it got more in the way on the way up than down.

Much to my comfort the rope is mystically secured in this pile of rocks and by an old wooden 2x4 of some undetermined age...but thankfully it held on both the way up and down. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything about this type of climbing anchor in
Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills (considered the mountaineering bible).
The proof I made it...not a bad view, you can see the sea ice is beginning to break up, and below off in the distance you can see the ice continues to break up and the other pieces of land that dot the bay. Unfortunately these pictures in no way do justice to the view, nor do they allow you to feel how crisp the air is at this latitude.

The expanse of creation from this view, in its own small way, helps to ease the pain of family separation. Thanks God for the comfort that your creation provides me on days like this.
Amazing pictures!!
ReplyDelete