Wednesday, April 15, 2009

And so it Begins

We started the new chapter of our life today, I departed for my new assignment and said good-bye to Amanda and the kids. I could not have ever imagined how hard that was going to be. I did this when I was a kid and my dad went remote, but I guess it is different when you're the one leaving. Right now it all still feels like a regular trip...enough of the sadness...

I've got some time to kill here in Baltimore (BWI) waiting on my plane so I thought I would do a quick post and give some of the hits and misses of being at BWI for a seven hour layover.

Hits:
1. The USO - Free food, coffee, luggage storage, TV, and wifi
2. Girl Scout Cookies - They have free Girl Scout Cookies here, don't be fooled it isn't just a plate with cookies on it, you get the whole box! Sadly they are out of Thin Mints, my first choice, second choice was the Somoas, but in an effort to minimize an impact to my already full backpack I went with the Do-Si-Dos. If you'll remember Somoas come in a plastic tray (not packable), Do-Si-Dos come in plastic sleeves (packable).

Misses:
1. Starbucks - It saddens me to list the maker of my favorite coffee drink, the Americano, on my misses list, but if I'm honest I don't usually regard airport Starbucks as the same as a standalone store. Airport stores are in the same category as Barnes and Noble, gas stations, and anywhere else that "Proudly Brews Starbucks." I digress, the miss with this particular Starbucks was not the quality of the coffee but rather the barista that working on her dental hygiene behind the counter. While she was not the one preparing the drinks it still took away from my overall experience.
2. BWI - Renovation and lack of signs make for difficult navigation through this place. But I guess this is the only way for them improve.

3. The current weather, check the widget on the right...ugh...as of this post it is currently 5F, (wind chill -34F), winds from the N at 36mph, heavy snow, and visibility is 0.

Thanks to everyone that has called, thought, or prayed for us as we worked up to this new adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Tell General K. I said hey there! Hope all is well for you, I know the girls said your room was a mess. We will pray that all gets worked out quickly for you. Who is your boss going to be? Who is the SQ/CC you will be working for? Take Care Brother and we are praying for you. Drop me a line at justin.mulkey@us.af.mil when you get up on the work E-Mail! -Justin

    ReplyDelete